Whether you are a rail manufacturer, Tier1 supplier, supplier of rail products, an engineer or just curious, we will answer all your questions and more in this article. Sika, as a leading adhesive and sealant supplier to the railway industry, provides guidance in how to apply our products in accordance with the DIN 6701 standard.
What is DIN 6701 About:
The aim of DIN 6701 standards is to prove and ensure quality in the area of adhesive bonding in the rail vehicle industry and in rail parts maintenance. It comprises four parts:
- DIN 6701-1: Basic terms and basic regulations.
- DIN 6701-2: Qualification of companies that use adhesives (user-companies) and their employees, compliance evaluation. This represents the basis for the certification. It deals with the accreditation of user-companies, which may be companies that use adhesive bonding to manufacture or repair rail vehicles.
They must also undergo certification. However, this is only so if the relevant bonded joints have high or average safety requirements.
They can also be companies that:
- Purchase and sell on or
- Purchase and fit/assemble bonded parts and components or
- Contract third parties to carry out adhesive bonding.
- DIN 6701-3: Design specifications – guideline for construction, dimensioning and proof thereof.
- DIN 6701-4: Regulations for manufacturing adhesive bonds and quality assurance.
Why Does DIN 6701 Exist?
DIN 6701 took effect in 2006 in response to an increasing number of damage events in the welding and adhesive bonding process associated with the rail industry. It has been revised every year and is an up-to-date standard of reference on an international scale, certifying quality assurance, safety and high security.
Currently, all railway manufacturers require adhesive bonding to be designed and executed according DIN 6701, regardless of whether the adhesive is applied within the production plant or by a supplier.
DIN 6701 International Recognition
DIN 6701 is a German standard that has reached the international level. Indeed, even if the outset was mainly national, a lot of international parties have participated in the creation of this standard of reference that is recognized on an international level in adhesive bonding work in the rail vehicle manufacturing sector. The adoption of DIN 6701 is due to the previous lack of standards in this environment and the German rail industry’s preference for working with companies that comply with DIN 6701.
Sika’s Comprehensive DIN 6701-3 Material Cards
Sika’s DIN 6701-3 material cards contain all the technical data information you need when working with our products. Our DIN 6701-3 material cards contain detailed calculation data for railway engineers and are available for Sika’s adhesives and sealants for the railway market.
Sika’s Rail Solutions
Manufacturers of passenger rail vehicles expect improvements in their processes, highly efficient and easy to use repair solutions and support for innovation in vehicle design. Rail operators must meet higher safety levels, increased reliability and at the same time reduced operating costs, including provisions for a comfortable passenger experience.
Sika is a leading global supplier of adhesive and sealants to the railway industry, providing a specific range of solutions that comply with quality and design requirements as per -DIN 6701.
- DIN 6701-3 Material Cards for EAEs
- Solutions to enhance adhesive bonding in-process control
- Compatibility testing on project base
- Solutions for enhanced tracking and documentation of adhesive products
- Application guidelines and applicator training
How to Get DIN 6701 Certified
DIN 6701 standard define three core concepts that must be met:
- Classification of bonded joints in accordance with safety requirements
- Appointment of supervisors in charge (SICs / VKap) of adhesive bonding work
- Verification: Actual load < Load limit of the bonded joint
DIN 6701 not only enables manufacturers to communicate more widely with industries interested in DIN 6701, but also facilitates a lot of benefits for the company itself. However, it requires a significant effort in training several applicators, supervisors and a VKap EAE:
- Beneficial technological and economic outcomes in the medium term
- Minimizes mistakes
- Generates trust
- Promotes a more sustainable image of adhesive bonding's
Approximately 500 companies worldwide are already certified under DIN 6701.